Ready to store your stuff, but asking yourself, what size storage unit do I need? If you don’t know what size storage unit to select, follow our helpful size guide below. Selecting the right-sized storage unit will give you the best overall value for your money. Too small, and you won’t be able to store all your items. Too large and you are paying for more than you need!
Prior to selecting the right sized storage unit, take some time to consider how your items will be packed and stored. Remember, many large items, like furniture, can be disassembled for easier storage. Disassembling items will help maximize your space and may allow you to pick a smaller storage unit. To see our recommendations for preparing and packing your items, check out this blog post.
The guide below uses standard storage unit sizes. You may find that your local storage facilities have some additional, custom size options that add or subtract a few square feet from the estimates here.
Small Storage Units – Only have a few items to store? Consider one of these smaller sized units. Perfect for people that fancy themselves expert real-life tetris box stackers.
- 5×5 sq ft: This unit is the size of a small walk-in closet or a utility closet. It is ideal for a small amount of boxed personal items, seasonal sports equipment (when you need to swap you surfboard for yours skiis), business supplies or records, and small furniture.
- 5×10 sq ft: This unit will offer you double the space of a 5×5 and is comparable to a large walk-in closet. When packed and disassembled, this size unit could contain the average contents of a small bedroom. This is also a good choice if you have a large piece of furniture that are too big for the 5×5.
Medium Storage Units – If you need to store several pieces of large furniture, appliances, or just a large pile of stuff, a medium sized storage unit may be right for you.
- 5×15 sq ft: This unit size will give you a little more space than the 5×10. It could fit the contents of a large bedroom or two small rooms.
- 10×10 sq ft: This size unit is the size of a small bedroom. It is appropriate for large furniture, appliances, boxes, and bookcases. With proper packing and stacking, this unit size could hold the contents of an average one-bedroom apartment. If you are looking to store a vehice, this size unit could house a motorcycle.
Large Storage Units – If you are moving or going overseas and need a storage solution for a whole apartment or household full of goods, you may want to look into these larger-sized units.
- 10×15 sq ft: This unit is the size of a large bedroom. Appropriate for a two bedroom apartment, including several large appliances, furniture, and boxed personal items.
- 10×20 sq ft: This unit is the size of a small one-car garage. If you are storing a vehicle, you could park a car in it. This unit could fit the contents of a 1-2 bedroom home or large apartment. This size of unit is also popular for commercial inventory and storage racks.
- 10 x 25 sq ft: This unit is the size of a large one-car carage. It’s appropriate for the contents of a standard 2-3 bedroom home.
- 10×30 sq ft: This large unit will be able to fit the contents of a 3-4 bedroom household. They can also be used for storing large commerical equipment and gear.
Need help getting your items to and from the storage unit?
Once you’ve decided which storage unit size to rent, you may need some help getting your items to their new home. GoShare provides an easy solution for storage facility drop-offs. Using the GoShare site or app, you can find local delivery and moving professionals with trucks and cargo vans to assist you in moving your items to a storage facility. Hire one or two professionals. They can be there within the hour, or be scheduled in advance. In addition to moving your items, they will also assist with the loading and unloading, making for an easy, quick trip!